Friday 26 April 2013

Lemon posset

The last few posts have all been a bit serious. So here's something more fun as we face the weekend.

Three years ago, to mark a milestone birthday, I visited River Cottage in Dorset. I spent a day learning about curing meat - a very worthwhile day as those who have eaten breakfast at ours will know, since we now cure our own bacon.

Nikki and I have eaten at the River Cottage canteen in Axminster a couple of times and one of the desserts there was an amazing lemon posset. Very tasty and simple to make. Before I tasted this for the first time I had the odd notion that a posset would be like the blancmange or junkets I remember from early childhood but this is much better.

I had a birthday this week and we celebrated with this pudding once again. Here's the recipe, to serve 6:

600ml double cream
150g caster sugar
Juice of 3 medium-sized lemons
Lemon zest

Pour the cream into a large saucepan and add the sugar. Warm gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then bring to a boil and boil for exactly three minutes, without stirring. Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Pour into six tea cups or small glasses. Cool, cover, and refrigerate for four hours before serving.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment