Sunday 29 December 2013

New challenges in 2014


The year that is now drawing to a close has been, for me, one of completing several longstanding projects. 2014 will bring some different challenges. 
  
From 1 January, I will reduce my paid hours as co-leader of Church from Scratch by 50%. 

We are together exploring the  ‘re-imagining’ of church for its next ten years, which is an exciting process. One thing is clear already – we need to halt the process of centralizing (ideas/decisions/power) on stipended ministers and take greater steps to encourage, equip and draw upon the skills of all.  That is hard to achieve unless leaders reduce their paid hours. Our church also needs to reduce its spending and ministers' stipends are the largest budget item.

Although my paid hours are reducing, CFS remains my spiritual home and Southend the community in which I will stay rooted. I will continue to co-lead the church with Peter Dominey and others.

So what about those other 3 days each week?  Well for a few days each month in 2013, Church from Scratch ‘loaned’ me to work with Ten Spires community interest company.  Ten Spires assists Christian churches and charities to make better use of their buildings for mission and to benefit and bless the communities they serve. This creative team supports urban churches as they choose new ways to share the good news of Christ, as well as managing major development programmes for clients, usually without significant financial cost to them.  I am delighted now to be joining the Ten Spires team for 2 days a week from 1 January, working directly with 4-5 urban Anglican parishes in London that want to refocus on relevant mission. 

I also expect to be leading more church weekends and leaders’ awaydays and am involved in creating The Big Ambition project (more of this later in 2014!)

I thank God for these opportunities. It will take us all (me + family + church + clients) a while to get used to sharing my time between church in Southend and church-work elsewhere.

Your prayers, questions and encouragements in 2014 would all be very welcome!  

1 comment:

  1. sounds great. We are praying you well on these changes. Phil

    ReplyDelete