Wednesday 16 April 2014

Interesting times


It’s an interesting feeling but, then again, it’s been an interesting time.  

I blogged in December that change was afoot for me in 2014.  From 1 January, I reduced my paid hours as co-leader of Church from Scratch by 50%.  Back then I said: 

“ One thing is clear already – we need to halt the process of centralizing (ideas/decisions/power) on stipended ministers and take greater steps to encourage, equip and draw upon the skills of all.  That is hard to achieve unless leaders reduce their paid hours. Our church also needs to reduce its spending and ministers' stipends are the largest budget item. “

So how have the first 3 months of the new way been?  Well I would describe the experience as wholesome, feeling right, fulfilling, timely and (mostly) fun.

Church from Scratch remains my spiritual home and Southend the community in which I am rooted. The past three months have brought into sharp focus for me that the choices I face daily about how to use more limited time lie often between ‘doing’ and ‘equipping / encouraging others to do’. 

Paul, writing to the Ephesians, speaks of this:  “ Others have a gift for caring for God’s people as a shepherd does his sheep, leading and teaching them in the ways of God…that God’s people will be equipped to do better work for him, building up the Church, the body of Christ, to a position of strength and maturity. “  A pastor who does too much robs others of the opportunity to learn.

I am deeply grateful to colleagues and friends who have continued to check that all is well - which it is. This was the right change to make. 

The other side of my time is now mostly working with Paul, Jean and Sarah from Ten Spires community interest company.  Ten Spires assists Christian churches and charities to make better use of their buildings for mission and to bless the communities they serve. This creative and fun team supports urban churches as they choose new ways to share the good news of Christ, as well as managing major development programmes, usually without significant financial cost to the churches.  Most of our clients are Anglican, although we have hopes that we may find some others as the year unfolds. 

I am also working with two church leadership teams to help them explore new ways forward for their work. 

From Easter Monday I will be taking sabbatical leave from CFS (but not Ten Spires) until early July. Again, it’s a strange feeling for an activist.  I am looking forward to it very much and hope that the few things I have arranged will help structure the time without my falling back on tinkering with work.  Just to be clear, I would welcome ‘coffee and cake’ moments with friends during that time!

I thank God for all these experiences and especially for my friends, for your prayers and encouragements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment