Wednesday 16 July 2014

The sound of silence

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed (Mark 1:35)

I began my recent sabbatical with a retreat at a Franciscan retreat house in a quiet and lonely place in the Lincolnshire fens.
Jesus set us a good pattern for living when he went away for a short time from daily life, not just to get a break from it all but to rediscover peace and the quiet voice of God, which is often heard when we stop making so much noise.
I wake up to the radio. Almost without thinking, as I get into the car I put on the radio or a CD. When I am working, Facebook or Spotify are often on in the background. And even when there is no external noise, still inside my brain is whirring with thoughts and unfinished conversations. 
Surprisingly, faith as we know it often gets in the way of just-God-and-us-together.  We sing. We read aloud. We watch videos and read books. My prayers are full of me speaking.
"When we try to express….God in words, our minds quickly come up short. But, in the depths of our being, through the Holy Spirit, Christ is praying far more than we imagine.

“Although God never stops trying to communicate with us, this is never in order to impose. The voice of God is often heard only in a whisper, in a breath of silence. Remaining in silence in God’s presence, open to the Holy Spirit, is…..prayer.

"The road…..is not one of achieving inner silence at all costs by following some technique that creates a kind of emptiness within. If, instead, with a childlike trust we let Christ pray silently within us, then one day we shall discover that the depths of our being are inhabited by a Presence." 


Brother Roger of TaizĂ©

So I spent a short time at a Franciscan house in a quiet location, to try and reset the balance. This place has a focus on finding Jesus at the centre through bring quiet. 
I went to the 4 simple gatherings in the chapel each day – a few words of liturgy following by 20-30 minutes of shared silence. This is not the kind of retreat where you are given something – for example, a verse of two of the Bible – to reflect upon. Silence is simply being in God’s presence without having to prattle prayers or do anything.  

It quickly becomes very liberating, not least for someone addicted to activity, noise and being in control.

I took some long walks - there is a river opposite and a nature reserve close by.  I saw many butterflies and watched a barn owl patrol the river bank.  I saw a heron snatch an eel from the river and fly away with it. There is some spiritual companionship available if you wish it, though I simply shared coffee and a little conversation with the hosts once a day.
In the guest barn you cook for yourself.  There is no TV.  There is broadband but actually I let go of the Internet for my short stay. The pace of life is slower: walking, reading, cooking and enjoying a bottle of velvety Merlot.
It was a good start to a period of slowing down and stopping, though I should have stayed a little longer.  I returned from sabbatical determined not to slip back into thoughtless activity. 
All my previous retreats have been silent ones. They suit me; they may not suit everyone.  But if Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed (Luke 5:16) then maybe it’s worth a try.  

I’d be glad to steer anyone towards places and ideas for a day retreat or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment